QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,用微信登录

搜索
查看: 2727|回复: 0

WHAT AM I? - Keys to the Ultimate Freedom

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-4-23 12:01:11 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

I thought that a summary of what we have been through, where we are going, and what there is at the end might be a good idea for the last talk of this series.

The way I like to look at our direction is that the ultimate goal of every being is total and complete happiness with no taint of sorrow whatsoever. We are all striving for this in our every act, but somehow missing the goal. The reason why we miss our goal, our target, is simply that we do not have a clear vision of the target and we therefore are aiming blindly. So long as we remain blinded we can never attain that goal of perfect happiness.

Someone comes along and says, Attention! You have spent many lifetimes looking in the wrong direction! Stop looking without and look ye within! Only there will ye find that which ye have spent lifetime after lifetime seeking! And then you meet someone like Lester: who tells you, Seek ye your very own Self. Therein lies your complete happiness. Stop looking for happiness in people and things. Here you merely eliminate the pain of the desire for something, and the relief you get you call pleasure. And .the pleasure is short-lived because the desire is not eliminated and is still there, and therefore the pain of it continues to gnaw at you.

Now the starting point is you. You must take the way toward discovering you, and only you can do it. Accept nothing unless you can prove it yourself. Prove it and it is yours. Prove it and then you can use it.

The uniqueness of this science, and it is a science, someday you'll see it is the science of all sciences, is that this is a subjective science. We have to seek it within; we can't put it out on a table in front of us and examine it. We can only examine it within our own mind, or better, within our own being. Also, the intellect does not avail it to us. The intellect can get us in the right direction to find it. The right direction is turning within, stilling the mind and experiencing this truth, this knowledge. And only by experience can we get to know it.

Methods are many, but the very highest is the method that everyone uses in the final end, and that method is finding the answer to What am I? This quest should be kept up all the time, not only in meditation, but during the day. While we're working, no matter what we're doing, in the back of our mind we can always keep that question posed: What am I? until the answer makes itself obvious to us.

Now, any answer the mind can give us must necessarily not be it because the mind is an instrument of limitation. All thoughts are qualified; all thoughts are limited. So any answer the mind gives cannot be right. The way the answer comes is simply by our getting out of the way the blindness that we have imposed upon ourselves by assuming thoughts that we are a thinking mind body. When the thoughts are quiet, the limitless Being is obvious. It's Self-effulgent; its there all the time; its just covered over by thought concepts, every one of which is limited.

So, the way is to pose the question What am I? and quietly await the answer. Other thoughts will come in, and the biggest difficulty is quieting these thoughts. When other thoughts come in, if we pose the question, To whom are these thoughts? the answer naturally is, To me. Then, What am I? puts us right back on the track again. That way we can continuously keep our attention on What am I?

In addition to posing this question until we get the answer, it is good practice in our daily life to be not the doer, be not the agent. Just be the witness! Acquire the It is not I but the Father who worketh through me attitude (which several in this group already have). This is the main conduct of life that we should strive for. The more we become the witness in life, the more we become non-attached to the body, the more we are our real Self.

So, there are two things I'm suggesting, one is the quest What am I? and the second is, in life itself, be not the doer; be the witness. Let things happen; allow life to be. That's the way we are in the top state, and the best behavior in life is that which is characteristic of the top state.

There are many other things which I'm sure you are aware of: humbleness, goodness, kindness, honesty, etc. All these things help, but the greatest aid is to be not the doer 1 but be the witness.

Now, when the Self of us presents Itself to us, it's a tremendous experience! It's a very difficult one to contain. We feel as though we're going to burst, because we recognize our omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence! But just seeing it once doesn't establish us in that state. However, once experiencing it, you'll never let go until you reestablish it. You'll continue to try, and you should continue to try, to get back into that state. The next time, it'll last a bit longer, the third time, still longer, until finally we are in it twenty-four hours a day.

When we attain this top state, we are not zombies, but we are all-knowing and everywhere present. Everything falls perfectly into line. We move in the world just like anyone else moves, but the difference is that we see the world entirely different from the way everyone else sees it. We see our body and every other body equally as our Self. Likewise, every animal and every thing as our Self. Seeing everything as I, gives us that singular Oneness throughout the universe which is called God, or the Self. We watch our body moving through life like an automaton. We let it go its way. And since we are not really that body, nothing that happens to that body can effect us. Even if it were crushed, it wouldn't mean much to us because we fully know that we are not that body. We know our eternal Beingness and we remain That!

So ,one who has attained the top state is difficult to distinguish from anyone else. He III go through the same motions of life and whatever he was doing before, he might continue to do. But his outlook on life is entirely different. He is completely egoless; he has no concern for his own body. He is interested in others and not in himself, he is interested in all humanity. Whatever he does has absolutely no ego motivation. His body will continue to live its normal span and usually goes out, in the eyes of the unknowing, the same way most bodies go out, via so-called death and coffin. But the one who was originally connected with that body never sees any of this death. He sees this entire world and body as an illusion that was created mentally just as we create scenes, cities and worlds in our night dreams. When we awaken, we realize there never was such a thing. And in the same way, when we a waken from this waking state, we see that the whole thing was a dream and never really was. That the only thing that ever was, was my Being, the absolute Reality, being all beingness, infinite, all perfect, all knowing, all powerful, omnipresent.

So, to reiterate, the main two points that I wanted to bring out today were that firstly, the very highest method is the quest What am I? As we pose this question in quietness, when other thoughts come in, ask To whom are these thoughts? The answer is To me. Well, what am I? and we're right back on the track again, until we get the total answer. And, secondly, the way in life is to be the witness., to be not the doer. I believe that sums up what I've been trying to get across up until now. Any questions on this?

Q: To not be the doer, don't you plan? Don't you do everything normally?

Lester: No, the right way is not to plan. Let it happen. Let go and you'll be guided intuitively. Instead of planning with thought, you'll do the exactly right thing, perfectly at the right moment, from moment to moment.

Q: There is a situation where someone might take a position of that kind when he hasn't really felt it; for example, he will say, I'll just stay in bed until I'm moved. Meantime his rent isn't paid.

Lester: So, he'll have to move! If we assume that we are there and are not, we are soon awakened to the fact that we are not there, see. Bob, I'm talking from a higher level now, the perfect state, where everything is in absolute harmony every moment. There you never think, and at every moment you know from within just the right thing to do. You're guided intuitively each and every moment and everything falls perfectly into line. Now, if you're not there, of course you have to think; you have to plan.

Q: Well, in practice then, in the beginning, it's probably a combination of the two where things go very easily, and then there's a hump in which you have to plan.

Lester: Definitely yes! In the top state you do by knowing; you just know from moment to moment. One feels I know it! That's just the way it feels and there's no thinking to it, only I know it!

Q: I know from my own experience, I slip back and lay out a plan, but sometimes that plan comes very easily and quickly to me and sometimes I have to struggle like the devil to work it out, step by step and I don't know what's going to happen. Other times I just layout a plan and I know what's going to happen and I have no difficulty with it.

Lester: The word know as you use it is the key. You know how that word feels when you say I know it! There's no doubt, not one iota of doubt there. And it happens. That's the key. That's the realm of knowingness. Make that all the time. Keep working for it until it comes and stays. The quickness with which we attain this is determined by the intensity of the desire for it. The more we desire this top state the sooner it comes. Everyone makes it eventually. I'm convinced the majority of people on earth today will probably take millions of years. But anyone of us who is consciously seeking the way out can do it this lifetime.

The so-called grace of God is always there also. All those who have made the top grade before us are radiating the consciousness of perfection to us. We have tremendous grace being actually pushed our way all the time. However, they have no right to impose themselves and don't. We have to open ourselves to it in order to receive it.

We need this grace. Because of the state of affairs today, man is relatively low. We are very strongly convinced that we are a limited body and by long habit we are trying to hold onto it. So it's not easy to let go of this body, and because of that we need the grace of the Great Ones who in our eyes have passed on, but in their eyes, they're still here. When we recognize that they are still here, we can see them and talk to them the way we talk to each other. If we accept them partially, we can talk to them in a dream or a vision. The way we meet with them is determined by our acceptance of them. If anyone of us believed that he could go down to a restaurant and have a snack with Jesus, the way you believe you could do it with me, - if you had that much acceptance then you could do it..

Now, some of us know that He came into this room. He gave a sign proportionate to our degree of acceptance. If He were suddenly to appear in a physical body in the room, it would be too much for most of us to accept and therefore He doesn't. But the way He comes to us is determined by our acceptance of Him. He gave signs to some here and some did not recognize that He did. However, most of us did!

The point I'm trying to make now is that we should open ourselves to the help of the great masters. Jesus and the Great Ones want each and everyone of us to know our perfection. They can't force it upon us. But their hand is always extended. It's good to keep this in mind. Then we open ourselves more to the help.

Q: How do you request and receive this help?

Lester: You have to be accepting of Jesus as being alive, just as much as we are, and capable of meeting with you, the way we meet with you,-then it can happen. You have to be open to it. The help is always being sent to you.

Q: Are there words to say, thoughts to carry?

Lester: Yes. But I can't give them to you; thats up to you. See, I give you the general principle, acceptance of Him, the way He is. Don't expect Him to be not Christly because He won't be that. However, He can appear as a very humble human being in form. Being omnipresent, at any moment, He can appear to anyone and speak with him.

Q: Lester:, He will be as Christ, He won't be in disguise, will He? The beggar at the door?

Lester: No. The only disguise is the one we put on Him. He would never disguise Himself. He wants to be recognized, as Christ. That's not His name. The man Jesus had the Christ Consciousness. And we have to accept Him and His consciousness which is extreme humility, simplicity, no Hollywood glamour.

Q: Would you define humility?

Lester: Yes. The greatest humility is through surrender: not I but thou; it is not I, but the Father who worketh through me; everything I do is God's work, I am not the doer. It is surrender of the ego, the ego being a sense of separate individuality.

Q: If you surrender yourself as an individual, how about the other person? I think we mentioned before that we recognize the other person as ourselves and we treat them as though we are the same. Who is this other person?

Lester: From where you stand now, the other person should not concern you. The only thing that should concern us is what we do. For me, it matters not what your attitude is toward me. You could hate me with every cell in your body. But it's of extreme importance what my attitude is toward you. While you're hating me I should love you fully and completely. Then you'll understand the answer to your question and you will see only the One. When you separate and then ask what's up here in the One, it just doesn't fit.

When we love, and only love, we are using the most formidable power in the universe. No one and no thing can harm us. We can never ever be hurt or unhappy if we would only just love without any hate. You can never be hurt when you love in the sense that the love is full, complete, divine love. It's just love with no, not one bit of, hate in it. It requires turning the other cheek, loving your enemy, that's the kind of love it takes.

Q: Love is understanding?

Lester: When you love fully you understand the other one fully. Love is understanding. It's identifying with the other one, being the other one. Coming down a step, it's wanting the other one to have what the other one wants, loving the other one, the way the other one is.

Q: Then who is our enemy?

Lester: In reality we have only one enemy and that's ourself. No one can do anything to us; no one can do anything for us. Someday you'll see this, that we in our consciousness determine everything that happens to us.

Q: Then it is our idea of ourselves which is incorrect?

Lester: Right. And that could be made better!

Q: When you say under standing, do you mean under standing in a logical sense, or do you mean acceptance of them without question of the reason why they're doing things, good or bad; just acceptance of whatever they are in an entirety.

Lester: It's acceptance in an entirety. But the real understanding requires knowledge of what the universe and the world are. When we see someone doing wrong, we have to know that this is a god-being, misguided. He's looking for God in the wrong place. Am I making sense? That's the understanding.

Q: Which in his mind would be happiness, right?

Lester: Yes. He's looking for happiness the way he sees it. Even a Hitler, in his mind, is doing right, and therefore should not be hated, but should be loved, -wanting him to be what his real basic nature is. Now this doesn't mean approving of his program, it doesn't. But whether we approve or not of his program, loving and hating are two different things than not approving. of his program. So we love everyone, see them as misguided beings, forgive them for they know not what they do. They're like children, misguided. Attain the highest state of loving everyone equally as Christ did!

This Session was recorded in Los Angeles, July 12, 1965

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注 册

本版积分规则

QQ|手机版|小黑屋|喜悦家园 ( 京ICP备12029068号-1   对不起,请原谅,谢谢你,我爱你。点击这里给我发消息

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 18:31 , Processed in 0.080439 second(s), 23 queries , Gzip On.